Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Working Caregivers - loss of production

I'm sure it wouldn't surprise you to learn that the annual cost to U.S. businesses due to lost productivity of working caregivers is a whopping $17.1 to $33.6 billion dollars*[1]

As Boomers grow older, the number of workers raising kids while simultaneously caring for aging parents is skyrocketing. When they are torn between caring for elderly loved ones and the demands of their job, the impact on work performance can be staggering. Missed deadlines. Loss of productivity. Absenteeism. It all adds up. It's estimated that businesses lose $2,441 per employed caregiver each year.

David Wingate is president of Senior Life Care Planning LLC. Since launching this company his vision has been to be the preferred and trusted leader in elder law/senior care, respected for providing the most effective, compassionate and innovative care possible. The experience of his staff, which, unlike other elder law providers, includes social workers, is unparalleled.

As a speaker and writer, Mr. Wingate lends his expertise to such topics as life care planning. He has been addressing issues that impact the healthcare industry, especially as they relate to the aging population's urgent need for pro-active strategies regarding health and finances and the engagement of quality caregivers.



[1] *Figures courtesy of Private Duty Insider, Feb.2008

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Maryland, United States
My life changed in the early to late 1990' My grandfather was living in Chevy Chase, Maryland. One night I received a call. I answered the phone, to hear that my grandfather, had fallen. Subsequently, he was taken to a nursing home. I was the attorney in the family, so everything was left to me. During this time, I had lots of questions: what options were available; what's a good nursing home, would he get good care; how are we going to pay for it? I tried to find answers to these questions. But I could only catch glimpses of the big picture. That research was my first act into the practice of elder law and life care planning. After granddad was in the nursing home. I researched this area and I started putting together what later turned out to be the beginning phases of my new life care planning practice and my calling.