Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Should we use computer software to draft a will?

People often wonder whether they would be taking a risk by using a computer software program to create their estate planning (wills, power of attorneys and living wills) documents, rather than consulting with a qualified attorney. A recent case shows how relying on comport software can produce unforeseen legal complications.

Ms. X had a life insurance policy that named her half-sister, as the beneficiary. Therefore, at her death the half sister should obtain the proceeds of the life insurance monies. However, using a legal software program she had obtained, she prepared three documents: (1) will; (2) an attachment; and (3) a living trust. She was not trained in the legal field. The attachment provided that the proceeds of the life insurance policy should be used to pay funeral costs and other debts normally paid by an estate.

Following Ms. X’s death, the court removed the half sister as personal representative (executor) and appointed a new personal representative for the estate. This new personal representative asked the court to interpret the estate planning documents that Ms. X had prepared and signed. The question was whether the attachment was a part of the will and, if so, whether it created a trust that held the insurance proceeds. If so, the insurance proceeds would be under the control of Ms. X's estate to pay its debts. If the attachment was determined not to be incorporated into the will, then Ms. X would receive all the life insurance proceeds.

The Court ruled that the attachment was part of the will and that it did create a trust to hold the insurance proceeds. This may not have been the wish of Ms. X but the problem was, the attachment clearly indicates that Ms. X intended the attachment to be part of her will. As the court states "[T]he inartful drafting of the will and [the attachment] certainly led to confusion and dissention between the parties."

Therefore, if you use computer software, there is the potential that your wishes may not enacted.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Maryland, United States
My life changed in the early to late 1990' My grandfather was living in Chevy Chase, Maryland. One night I received a call. I answered the phone, to hear that my grandfather, had fallen. Subsequently, he was taken to a nursing home. I was the attorney in the family, so everything was left to me. During this time, I had lots of questions: what options were available; what's a good nursing home, would he get good care; how are we going to pay for it? I tried to find answers to these questions. But I could only catch glimpses of the big picture. That research was my first act into the practice of elder law and life care planning. After granddad was in the nursing home. I researched this area and I started putting together what later turned out to be the beginning phases of my new life care planning practice and my calling.